- 2 Side fresh salmon, skin on
- 6 Tablespoons Lemon & Dill Rock Salt
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Large size bunch dill, roughly chopped, stems and all
- 3 Tablespoon Gin.
- Lay the salmon skin side down, on a plate.
- Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, and pepper, spread the dill over them, and splash on the Gin.
- Sandwich the fillets together, tail to tail, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Cover the sandwich with another plate and something that weighs about a pound like an unopened can of coffee or beans, for example.
- Open the package every 12 to 24 hours and baste, inside and out, with the accumulated juices.
- On the second or third day, when the flesh has lost its translucence, slice thinly as you would smoked salmon. On the bias and without the skin -- and serve with rye bread or pumpernickel, with fresh peppery rocket and a sour cream and lemon dressing.