- 12 ounces duck livers, rinsed and connective tissue removed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Rock Salt (ground)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Soak duck livers in the milk for at least two hours at room temperature.
- Bring the double cream, star anise, and Smoked rock salt to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Reduce to simmering, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the anise.
- Place duck livers in a food processor bowl fitted with the metal blade.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the hot cream and process until combined.
- With the motor running, slowly add the rest of the cream in a steady stream.
- Process the livers until smooth. pausing to scrape down sides with a spatula as needed.
- Add pepper and pulse until combined.
- Scrape duck liver pate into a serving bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Cover clarified butter and chill for at least 24 hours before serving.
Serve with crusty bread.